exida examines systematically dozens and dozens of generalist and specialist media outlets for news on events impinging on Quality, Safety and Security of complex electronics-based systems in all industrial sectors. In this section exida shares this curated survey with all the readers of its website.
"..It’s a very Silicon Valley ethos to get your software 80 percent of the way there and then release it and then let your users figure out the problems.” Alas, it’s a very pity that safety is always in the remaining 20 percent."
"..What if ‘autopilot’ stood for automatic pilot rather than autonomous pilot?"
"..Software update… safety risks… cruise-control system… accidentally activated... 93.7% of all locally made cars… How do you say ‘perfect typhoon’ in Mandarin?"
"..Brute-force approach to full self-driving features? What could possibly go wrong?"
"..A cheap title for an otherwise extremely informative - and somewhat terrifying - long read on SW complexity in nowadays cars, packed with some mind boggling quantitative data."
"..Truly, nothing can be verified/validated without knowing the requirements/goals. Autonomous vehicles may inadvertently kill passengers and pedestrians, as well as autonomous weaponized drones may fail to effectively annihilate enemy combatants. It would be intellectually instructive to compare the Safety Concepts of such categories of products.."
"..Automotive Safety Standards are for wimps. Oh wait..."
"..The auto industry is microcosm of the forces that will shape this decade: technological change, climate, the rise of Asia, reshoring and geopolitics’: an insightful view of the state-of-the-art and of the “paradigm shift” in the car industry from one of the finest macro-economic commentators, Deloitte’s Chief Economist Ian Stewart."
"..As Baidu founder Robin Li told me back in 2016, autonomous driving releases an absolute gold mine’ or, maybe, of an even more precious but dangerous rare metal?"
"..All of AI, not just healthcare, has a proof-of-concept-to-production gap’, says AI veteran Andrew Ng. The gap exists throughout the machine learning world. He mentions ’showing safety’ as the culminating criterion for production readiness. Surely it rings a bell in the car industry?"
"..It looks like that congested road junctions and motorways are not as friendly as carriers’ decks to electronically heavily laden vehicles. Who would have thought that?"
".. It happens that an interview with a veteran pilot tester for autonomous cars looks more like a script for a new Netflix SciFi series than a technology state-of-the-art survey. It starts with a slightly sinister sounding Distronic adaptive cruise control to finish off with decapitated beta-passengers and killer robocars. Bets are open for series name… Rear Black Mirror? Autocrash? Altered Car? Brave New Traffic? .."
".. In 1991 Geoffrey Moore published his seminal book on technology marketing, “Crossing the Chasm”. Thirty years later, chasms are still with us, rebranded as "Troughs of Disillusionment”..."
"..It seems that two categories of things are particularly reluctant to be put under control in the land of the free: assault weapons and autonomous vehicles."
"..Requirements analysis? Who said requirements analysis?"
"..A gentle reminder that Over-The-Air is not a trivial SW delivery method (even where there is no air and nobody can hear you scream)."
"..Looks like a perfect mini-storm at the intersection of software Quality and Safety, causing the recall of 1.29 million vehicles."
"..It seems that, after all, Tesla’s Full Self Driving is just a "representative of SAE L2”. Not according to competitors or detractors, but to Tesla itself."
"..Safety and Security are becoming more and more entangled by the day."
..During his seminal Welcome Note at the Automotive SYS Conference in Berlin, in July 2014, Dr. Ulrich Eichhorn, then VDA Managing Director, announced that the car of the future would be: "electric, connected, autonomous”. Today, Molex’s survey of automotive decision makers reveals "electrification, connectivity, and passenger safety" as the top innovation areas. Spot the little change in the list?
"..It’s claimed that the autonomous driving system detects other vehicles and calculates their trajectories twice as far out as professional truck drivers. It’s hoped that many other good arguments build up the overall system's Safety Case."
We provide consulting, assessment, cybersecurity, alarm management, product testing and certification under a number of Functional Safety, Security and SW Quality standards, such as IEC 61508, IEC 61511, ISO 26262, ISO 13849, IEC 62061, ISA Security Compliance Institute (ISCI), ASPICE